Are you one of the many people who sets intentions, has goals and creates a plan? Studies show that setting goals is key to success.
SUCCESS STARTS WITH A PLAN
There was a study done on a group of graduating students who were in the Harvard MBA Program where the students were asked to set clear written goals for their future and to also make plans of how they would accomplish this. In this group of students, 3% of the students wrote down their goals, while the other 13% had goals however they did not write them down. The remaining 84% of the students had no specific goals at all.
They interviewed the students ten years later and the findings were astounding! The 13% who had goals but had not written them down—were earning on average, twice as much at the 84% who had none. The 3% who had clear written goals— were earning ten times as much as the 97% put together. (Article in – What They Don’t Teach You at Harvard Business School)
These extraordinary results are inspiring! If you want to succeed, setting goals is one of the most important things that you can do.
In my years of experience as a Coach, one thing I have discovered is that when it comes to setting goals, a lot of people are resistant. Why is this? Is it enough to just set “SMART” Goals that are— Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely— or is there more to this? I believe there is.
In order to accomplish your goals, you must set goals around the things that are MOST important to you. Your goals must align with your values.
When your goals align with your values you have a higher chance for success!
What do you really want?
- Do you want to have a better self-image, be healthier, or be more successful?
- Do you want to build a stronger relationship with someone who is important to you?
- Do you want to have more fulfillment and happiness in your life?
Set goals and align your goals with your values!
- Clearly define what your values are. What is most important to you?
- What do you want? Make a list of some of the things that you want to achieve. What do you want to do that would make you happy and proud?
- Evaluate what you wrote down -What is one thing that stands out? Make sure it aligns with your values.
- Set a goal – Create a clear plan of how you will accomplish your goal.
- Be motivated from the inside out – Know why is it important to you? What is the reward?
- Be sure to tell someone and create accountability – With support you are more likely to succeed and you have people to cheer you on.
- Accomplish your goal and celebrate!
Setting values driven goals is a discipline that pays off! Make sure to give it a try and guaranteed, you will experience increased fulfillment in your life.